Thursday, August 1, 2013

Watermelon Mojito





During the last two miles of a grueling thirteen mile hike today, I started dreaming of a refreshing summer adult beverage. My go-to libation up to this point was a plain mojito, but today I needed a little OOMPH. You know, Oomph. Like when you look in the mirror and realize your outfit is missing the perfect accessory, or when you taste a salsa and realize you left out the diced jalapeno. That was the feeling I had today, until I strolled into the produce section of Kroger. 

Hello, watermelon. Oh my goodness golly gracious (grandma approved version of what I was really thinking) go and make this right now!!

Watermelon Mojito
10 fresh mint leaves
8 chunks of watermelon, pureed in a blender1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1 cup crushed ice
1 and 1/2 ounces white rum
splash club soda
optional for extra sweetness - simple syrup


  1. Place mint leaves (tear into glass) and 1 lime wedge into pint glass. Use a muddler to crush the mint and lime to release mint oils and lime juice. 
  2. Add watermelon puree and 2 more lime wedges, and muddle again. Do not strain. 
  3. Fill the glass almost to the top with crushed ice. 
  4. Pour the rum over the ice, and fill the glass with club soda. Add splash of simple syrup if desired. Garnish with the last lime wedge and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment