Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cranberry Quinoa Salad



I thought this would be one of those "chick only" salads that girls adore but boys scoff at. I mean,  no meat and craisins?  I must confess, I was surprised when Josh texted me today to tell me how much he liked it. I also feel obligated to disclose that I always cook quinoa in chicken stock! After all, I am not a veg-only kind of girl. 



Cranberry Quinoa Salad
from Can You Stay For Dinner, serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup dry quinoa
1 ½ cups chicken broth (according to quinoa instructions)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp EVOO
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp chopped italian parsley
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 Tbsp red bell pepper, finely chopped
¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
¾ cup dried cranberries

Directions:
  1. Cook the quinoa according to package directions; set aside to cool.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the fresh lemon juice, honey, and olive oil. Add the salt.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa with the parsley, scallions, bell peppers, sunflower seeds, and cranberries. Pour the lemon juice dressing over the top and toss to coat well. 
  4. Serve immediately at room temperature or cover and chill to serve cold. The salad will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment