Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The little choices matter the most.

I had a revelation at the gym this morning. As Oprah would say, an aha moment. It's an idea that I've really thought was true for awhile, and when I follow the rule I find myself so much happier and living the life that I want to live.

Last week was my first week back at the gym. The month before that, I would come up with some excuse on my days off to miss my favorite aerobics class or my morning run. I know that I'm a brighter, happier, healthier person when I exercise, yet I still manage to come up with excuses when the alarm goes off early. Here's a preview: My only day to sleep in. A headache. The temptation of a lazy coffee sipping morning. It goes on and on. 
Today, I got up and made it to my class with enough time to run a few miles on the treadmill before hand. I left the gym brimming with energy and ready to tackle a few items on my project list. I'm now typing this blog with clean sheets on my bed, salmon marinating in teriyaki sauce for dinner, two clean boxers, and a priceless outlook. 
  • Going to the gym = little choice.
  • Eating a salad for lunch - little choice.
  • Taking 10 minutes to read an article in your favorite magazine = little choice.
  • Not complaining and being grateful for a day = little choice. 
  • Sitting on a quilt in the yard with your dogs to just enjoy the sunshine = little choice.
  • Sending a small birthday package to a friend = little choice.

The thing is, all of these little choices after a short period of time have a BIG impact. One choice, maybe not. Habits form and goals are met because we repeatedly do the little things without making excuses, which leads us to that beautiful place where we are living the life we want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment