Friday, April 19, 2013

Mexican Lentil Casserole


I am always looking for healthy and tasty recipes to try on my work friends. My usually picks involve quinoa, hummus, and lentils. I strongly believe in the phrase "eat like crap, feel like crap" so the opposite applies as well. Eat healthy and feel healthy and on top of the world! I really felt on top of the world today after I got many compliments on this yummy casserole. I think letting it sit in the fridge overnight really brought out all the spices, and while initially I thought it needed a pinch of salt, today I thought it was just perfect. Especially with a dollop of white bean hummus on the side. 

On a side note, I really struggle with taking photos of dull appearing foods in a dark kitchen. I PROMISE this casserole tastes better than the lackluster photo, though I must mention that I'm using my new Sur La Table dinnerware for the first time in this picture, and I love it! 

Mexican Lentil Casserole
adapted from therelunctanthippie.com

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 cups water 
1 cup uncooked lentils
1.5 cups cooked brown rice
1 six ounce can tomato paste
1/2 tsp chili powder
1.5 Tbsp taco seasoning (make your own!)
Optional topping: mexican cheese

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, green pepper, celery, and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir in lentils. Cover pot and simmer for 40 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
  3. Remove the lentils from heat and drain excess water if needed.  Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared casserole. Option: top with mexican cheese
  4. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. 

1 comment: