Saturday, December 7, 2013

my favorite spaghetti squash recipe


Today we are going to take it back to the beginning, as my very first recipe post EVER back in January was spaghetti squash with marinara sauce. If you want to see how to roast spaghetti squash in the oven, click here to see the prior post. 
My love affair with spaghetti squash is ongoing, and I have been holding out on y'all by not sharing a recipe I discovered a few years ago. I have made this many times, as we love spicy food and the sriracha sauce gives it a kick. Josh was so excited when I told him that I was making this dish for us tonight. I always place an extra side of sriracha on the table for the crazy folk (my husband) who just can't get enough of that stuff. It's become our house ketchup, because we put it on everything! Without further ado...
Sriracha Spaghetti Squash with Turkey
adapted from Slender Kitchen

1 medium spaghetti squash
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey or low-fat sausage
2 Tbsp sriracha sauce
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
Garnishes - scallions and sesame seeds

Cook the spaghetti squash, either roast or cook in microwave.
In a saute pan over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes or until it becomes fragrant and the onions begin to soften. Add the ground turkey and cook for 5 minutes, breaking it up as it cooks, until completely cooked through. Add the sriracha and hoisin sauce and stir together. Let simmer while scraping out the spaghetti squash. Stir in the spaghetti squash.

Serve in bowls and top with scallions and sesame seeds. 

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I’ll have to try this! I love fried chicken but with a toddler we have to watch what we serve at meals! Now I can have fried chicken again! Crazyask.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so delicious! My husband hates eggs, so I never make Frittata’s which is a shame. Have you tried freezing this or something similar. I’m thinking for my breakfast or lunch, I could make ahead. Let me know, much appreciated!UpdateLand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!
    Love your post. It's really amazing & helpful too. Being foodie i keep trying new dishes i tried this recipe & it turned out to be really tasty . Keep sharing :)
    Thank You & Regards
    Ankita



    onlyloudest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valuable information. Fortunate me I discovered your website by chance, and I’m shocked why this twist of fate did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.
    Regards: Dream market

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this roundup idea! I am making a “basics” cookbook for a few of my girlfriends who are getting married this summer. Definitely going to include some of these ideas.

    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this the first time I made it using brown sugar but tonight I made it with Stevia not realizing that the ratios are so different. A word to the wise, if using a substitute use a LOT less. We had to throw the whole thing away.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is pretty similar to the way I make my alfredo, and it’s probably my favorite dinner that I have ever posted! I haven’t done it without scraping the cooked squash though–I will definitely have to give it a try!
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love gloomy days but I tend to be way less productive because I want to sink into watch a movie under covers all day.
    Holly Hooper

    ReplyDelete