Thursday, December 26, 2013

Holiday Sangria


I surprised my in-laws this Christmas by showing up with a pitcher of sangria to share. I did tweak the original recipe for the holidays - I used blackberry brandy, added maraschino cherries, and used Sprite zero instead of sugar and soda. I also did not marinate the apples and pears overnight, but added them just a few hours prior to serving. This way, the fruit looked pretty and did not soak up all of the sangria. I believe we have a new Christmas Day tradition. Cheers! 

Holiday Sangria
1/2 cup blackberry brandy
1/2 cup triple sec
1 large bottle red wine (I like yellow tail big bold red)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
1/3 cup orange juice
1 orange, sliced into rounds
12 maraschino cherries with splash of cherry juice
1 apple, thinly sliced
1 pear, thinly sliced
2 cups ginger ale or 7-up (add just before serving)
  1. In a large pitcher, mix together the blackberry brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and splash of cherry juice.
  2. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
  3. Chop fruit and add 2-3 hours prior to serving along with cherries. 
  4. Add 7 up or ginger ale  immediately before serving. Be sure to scoop a few cherries and fruit into each glass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment