Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mom's Famous Chocolate Chips



My mom, Petra (pronounced pEEtra), is an amazing woman and a fantastic cook. In honor of Mother's Day, I'm posting one of her famous recipes. She stocked my freezer during PA school with my favorite recipes, including black bean soup, chicken walnut lasagna, and Ina Garten's Italian wedding soup. In fact, shortly after Josh and I started dating, I thawed her black bean soup and pretended I made it myself! I fessed up...eventually. I think Josh knew from the first bite that it was too good to be made by me! 

My mom has sent "goodie packages" with these cookies since I can remember. They are loved in many states, including California and Wisconsin. Her copy of the Silver Palate cookbook is tattered and dog-eared, and this recipe came from that book. She has modified it and added a little extra flour, so they are more like cake-cookies. Divine. 


*photo taken with my wedding gift from Josh, a Canon 100mm macro lens!*

Mom's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from the Silver Palate Cookbook

2 sticks unsalted butter,  at room temp 
1 cup of brown sugar
¾ cup of white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2
½ to 2¾ cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 bag of milk chocolate chips


DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper
  2. Using a mixer, beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well. 
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. 
  4. Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely.
ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoy your site and your recipes. Would you please consider adding a print option so we can enjoy your recipes a little more easily. healthmagazineus

    ReplyDelete