Summer has finally arrived! In Roanoke today it was sunny, ninety degrees by 11am, and I drove around town listening to country music with my sunglasses on (and A/C, too hot for windows down). This weather CLEARLY calls for mojitos! I planted a pot of mint for this purpose alone. Oh yes.
After spending hours reading about how to make the perfect mojito, here are a few free tips in celebration of summer:
- Bacardi superior white rum
- crushed ice (not cubed)
- homemade simple syrup (1 cup sugar/1 cup water boiled together, off heat add 10
mint leaves, infuse until room temp, then strain leaves out)
the Perfect Mojito
10 fresh mint leaves
1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1T simple syrup
1 cup crushed ice
1 and 1/2 ounces white rum
1/2 cup club soda
- Place mint leaves (tear into glass) and 1 lime wedge into pint glass. Use a muddler to crush the mint and lime to release mint oils and lime juice.
- Add simple syrup and 2 more lime wedges, and muddle again. Do not strain.
- Fill the glass almost to the top with crushed ice.
- Pour the rum over the ice, and fill the glass with club soda. Add more simple syrup if desired. Garnish with the last lime wedge and enjoy!