Monday, May 27, 2013

Caprese Phyllo Cups



The mention of a caprese salad makes me dream of summer, Italy, patios, white wine, and the simple joys of life. I love the classic salad, and the many variations including caprese pizza, caprese paninis, and slight tweaks on the classic salad with roasted tomatoes and even an added drizzle of pesto. Caprese = happy + yummy + the good life. 

I found this recipe on Gimme Some Oven, and made it for a summer BBQ. I love that it is easy to pick up and eat with no fuss. A true winner! 



Caprese Phyllo Cups
from gimme some oven

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup balsamic
1 (15 count) package mini phyllo cups
15 grape tomatoes, halved
4 oz fresh mozzarella, diced into small pieces
4 large fresh basil leaves, rolled and julienned
Salt/Pepper

DIRECTIONS
  1. Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over med-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until reduced by half. Remove from heat.
  2. Portion the tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh julienned basil between the phyllo cups. (I learned the hard way, add the basil first). Drizzle with the reduced balsamic. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve immediately. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to make these for a friends birthday party tomorrow, I agree that having things that are easy to pick up is a positive and a whole lot less messy than my favorite Brushetta recipe, especially if people are eating in your living room.

    ReplyDelete