Wednesday, May 8, 2013

GaryTalk #3


Live a simple and frugal life; avoid putting on airs
My dad gave a beautiful toast at our reception, and mentioned his top 3 life rules. A bagpiper played the Highland Wedding March as my dad walked me down the aisle, and so many of his pillars come from the Scots and growing up in a family that had just enough.


Our country was founded on principles of independence that have been obscured by the desire to have more and take on debt to do so. I believe the underlying root of this trend is the human desire to impress other people, with our houses, our cars, our vacations, etc. Unfortunately, the banks and government have made it easy to do so, and our country has been left in a state of great debt and little resemblance to what our Founding Fathers envisioned. 

From what I've learned at this point in my life, there is no great fulfillment in trying to impress other people. It's a fallacy that will lead a person to living a life for other people, rather than for himself, which brings no satisfaction or happiness. 

Dad reminded me, at our wedding reception, that there is beauty in living simply and frugally, and in living for yourself and not for other people. Most people crave simplicity, which often begets a sense of order and calm, and highlights relationships with people as opposed to relationships with material things. I would like to thank my dad for these gentle reminders which guide my daily decisions and serve as a foundation for my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment