Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork (in the slow cooker)


ingredients in the slow cooker (I reset the timer to 8 hours)
*the red peppers on top are the can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

Pork shoulder before shredding (topped with chipotle peppers)

Pioneer Woman strikes again! Every time I tell my husband I'm making one of her recipes, his face lights up. Why? Ree (we're on a first name basis, in my head at least) makes food for men (cowboys) and women (cowgirls) but if the guys are around, she makes food the cowboys will love. This usually involves meat and potatoes. There's a reason she hooked a hot rancher! 

I pulled my slow cooker out of the basement, the one I gave Josh as a gag gift a few years ago because I really wanted a fancier one with a timer. Every single time I make a home run dinner in my crock pot, I vow to use it more, and then it ends up back in the basement. Ce la vie. 

The star ingredient in this recipe is the can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I was able to find them at Walmart, and there is just no substitute. We wrapped our pulled pork in tortillas topped with sauteed red peppers, cheese, and cilantro, though I'm sure the pulled pork would be divine any way you decide to serve it. I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as we did! 



Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork

Pork shoulder roast (mine was 5 lbs)
1 onion
12 ounces Dr. Pepper
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce 
2 Tbsp brown sugar

For serving - 
tortillas
shredded pepper jack cheese
sauteed red bell peppers
cilantro
sour cream

  1. Quarter the onion and spead out on bottom of slow cooker.
  2. Place pork shoulder on top of the onions.
  3. Pour the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce over the pork.
  4. Now pour the Dr. Pepper on top of the pork.
  5. Add 2 spoonfuls of brown sugar to the slow cooker and stir to mix.
  6. Put the lid on - set it on LOW and cook for 7-8 hours.
  7. When the pork is ready, carefully lift out of the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks on a large plate. Return the pork to the liquid in the slow cooker and stir well. 

Serve on warm flour tortillas. Top with grated cheese, bell peppers, cilantro, or whatever toppings you would like. Enjoy! 

Black Bean Salad
This black bean salad was the perfect side dish to the tortillas! 



1 can black beans
I corn cob
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 avocado, diced
handful of cilantro, rough chop

Dressing:
5 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix dressing and whisk together. Combine black beans, corn, and red bell pepper in a large bowl. Pour dressing over the top and mix well. Prior to serving, add avocado and fresh cilantro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment