Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Healthy Zucchini Pizza Bites


The start of a new year is always a reminder to lead your best life, and for many of us that entails a few "healthy" goals to eat right, get fit, and substitute water for sweet tea and wine.  I bring to you an easy appetizer that reminds me of my favorite teenage snack, bagel bites, but is much healthier and low-carb. If you all know how much my husband loves pizza, the fact that this recipe is Josh approved goes to show how tasty these are!

Healthy Zucchini Pizza Bites
from the comfort of cooking blog
 
2 large zucchini
Nonstick cooking spray
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup low-sugar marinara sauce
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/4 cup mini pepperoni pieces (optional)
Italian seasoning, to sprinkle on top at end

Spray both sides of zucchini rounds lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil or grill zucchini rounds (I used a grill pan) 2 minutes on each side. 

Place cooked zucchini rounds on a large lined baking sheet. Top with small amounts of sauce, cheese, and pepperoni pieces. Broil for 1-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, careful not to burn. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and serve warm. 

3 comments:

  1. I am going to make these this week. I am looking forward to it. Yum! Thanks for posting this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these today for a party and they were a total hit. Thank you so much for such a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already made these a few times because the are SO delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete