The original firecracker recipe is a classic, though every now and then we need to stray from the paved path and veer into the woods for a change. Put a new twist on an old favorite.
I was inspired by a photo on pinterest with snack crackers made with a combination of saltine crackers AND cheez-its AND mini club crackers. AND is usually a good word when talking food. I'll have a filet AND mushroom sauce AND a lobster tail on the side AND a glass of wine. Agree?
This one makes a double batch, enough to fill 2 gallon zip lock bags. I usually make a double batch anyways, though this one could be halved.
1 box oyster crackers (14oz) - I used kroger brand
1 box mini club crackers (11oz)
1 box original cheez-its
2 and 2/3 cups canola oil
4 Tbsp red pepper flakes
2 envelopes ranch dressing mix
- Pour 1 and 1/3 cups oil into two separate 13x9 or larger rectangular pans and stir 2 Tbsp red pepper flakes into each pan. Let sit for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees
- Pour half of each box of crackers into oil mixture and gently stir until crackers are coated with oil
- Slowly sprinkle ranch dressing mix over crackers and stir well (1 envelope per pan)
- Cook at 225 for 30 minutes, then allow crackers to cool in the oven.
Serve immediately, or store in a gallon ziplock bags.