There is a reason that I have an entire page on Pinterest dedicated to Mexican food and margaritas. (click here) While I once loved heading over to our local El Rodeo for a jumbo margarita and veggie quesadilla, I have changed my tune, and now look forward to making great Mexican food at home.
This recipe is the perfect complement to a cold negra modelo or a margarita on-the-rocks.
In fact, I'll throw in THE margarita recipe from my friend Katie, which Josh and I have fondly nicknamed Katie-Ritas. Happy Friday, friends! I served this with Mexican corn salad.
Paul McCartney's refried bean tacos
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
15 oz can refried beans
4 medium tomatoes (I used Italian plum tomatoes)
package of whole grain corn tortillas (I use La Tortilla Factory low-carb)
grated cheese for topping (I use Monterey jack)
Toppings - slices avocado, cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream, sliced jalapeno peppers
- Chop onion. De-seed and chop tomatoes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 mins until soft.
- Stir in refried beans. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt. Add 1-2 tsp hot sauce if desired (I like tobasco)
- Heat up tortillas (grill or stovetop)
- Top each tortilla with bean mixture, grated cheese, and add toppings (avocado/cilantro/sour cream). Squeeze fresh lime juice over each taco and serve immediately.