Friday, March 1, 2013

Paul McCartney's refried bean tacos




There is a reason that I have an entire page on Pinterest dedicated to Mexican food and margaritas. (click here) While I once loved heading over to our local El Rodeo for a jumbo margarita and veggie quesadilla, I have changed my tune, and now look forward to making great Mexican food at home. 

This recipe is the perfect complement to a cold negra modelo or a margarita on-the-rocks. 
In fact, I'll throw in THE margarita recipe from my friend Katie, which Josh and I have fondly nicknamed Katie-Ritas. Happy Friday, friends! I served this with Mexican corn salad. 

Paul McCartney's refried bean tacos

Ingredients:
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
15 oz can refried beans
4 medium tomatoes (I used Italian plum tomatoes)
salt
package of whole grain corn tortillas (I use La Tortilla Factory low-carb)
grated cheese for topping (I use Monterey jack)
2-3 limes

Toppings - slices avocado, cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream, sliced jalapeno peppers

Directions:

  1. Chop onion. De-seed and chop tomatoes.
  2. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 mins until soft. 
  3. Stir in refried beans. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt. Add 1-2 tsp hot sauce if desired (I like tobasco)
  4. Heat up tortillas (grill or stovetop)
  5. Top each tortilla with bean mixture, grated cheese, and add toppings (avocado/cilantro/sour cream). Squeeze fresh lime juice over each taco and serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment