Wednesday, January 29, 2014

the power of home




I get to thinking about things when I'm in the car driving or out on the trails running. Today, I drove back from South Carolina listening to a band my mom recently introduced me to, The National, on pandora radio.  As the miles passed, I just escaped into the music feeling content and relaxed. 


If you have met my mom, you know that she one of the most wonderful women you will ever meet. My husband and friends adore her, my father adores her, we all adore her. Spending a little time around her is like an elixir, she is just that special. I'm going to try to relay the gentle little reminders she gives me when we spend time together, so that you may benefit and I may be reminded of her wisdom. 
When you spend time with her, she makes you feel like there is nothing more important than YOU. She does not pick up her cell phone (doesn't have one), does not interrupt you when you're talking, does not talk about herself that much. It's refreshing, and makes me want to be a better friend. 
slow down
Life is short, if you hurry through it you will miss all the good bits. 

have real conversations
In an emailing, texting, tweeting world, remember that nothing feels better than hearing the voice of a friend.

be grateful
Count your blessings, for many people have less than you do. 

make today wonderful with your attitude
If you would like to have a wonderful day, decide to have one. 

practice patience
Good things are worth waiting for. Don't settle and trust that things will work out. 

create a beautiful home
Your home is your sanctuary. Surround yourself with what makes you happy, and keep it tidy. 

choose joy
The harder this choice is, the more necessary it is. Find joy in everyday things. 

always look for the silver lining
I promise it's always there. Always. It's up to you to find it. 

invest energy and love in your relationships 
It's the little things you do for the people you love that matter. 

embrace quiet time
Alone time is time to reflect and energize, recharge. 



No comments:

Post a Comment