Back when I was starting college, my dad reinforced that in times of stress, when I was cramming for exams or just feeling extremely overwhelmed, to focus on three simple things: eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep. Tough times don't last, but tough people do.
Now that I am 10 years older and under the constant stressful hum of being an adult and working a challenging full-time job, I feel so much better if I follow his advice all of the time. When I strive to be healthy, the result is feeling GREAT, with tons of energy and a positive outlook on life. I have been known to shed tears watching the Biggest Loser, when you see the positive effects a healthy lifestyle has on the contestants, who have been feeling bad and bad about themselves for years. The phenomenon of a "runner's high" is real - it's an amazing intense happy feeling that comes from activity and taking care of your body.
Allow me to introduce this gorgeous salad. As Kate describes it on her blog, it's literally sunshine in a bowl. Salad is so fun to photograph since the colors are vibrant and fresh. This dressing is just bursting with flavor from the lime juice and jalapeno. Trust me, eat a salad like this and you will be craving salad more often!
Along with eating salad, here are a few more of my best healthy tips:
Pack your lunch
- you will pad your wallet and avoid the temptations of the cafeteria and eating out
Shop the perimeter of the grocery store
- fill your cart with vegetables, lean meats, and dairy
- venture inside for oatmeal, quinoa, or whole grains and then run away from the
oreos, cheetos, and junk food!
Be aware of portion sizes
- this is the French woman's secret to staying trim - rather than eating a bar of chocolate
or half a baguette, you just eat one small portion really slowly
- wait a little while before going back for seconds, it takes your body time to register
Drink lots of water
- it's easy to mistake hunger for thirst
Be prepared for when hunger strikes
- keep a protein bar on hand, along with almonds or a piece of fruit
- we often make the worst choices (fast food, candy, chips) when we are starving
Have a celebration meal every week
- enjoy your favorite meal - be it pizza or a burger -just be mindful of portion sizes and
really ENJOY it
Focus on health, not weight
- weight is just a number on the scale, health is the big picture, the commitment, the
decision to take care of your body
Please, share with me your exercise and health mantras that keep you motivated, I would love to hear them !
Kale, Clementine and Feta Salad