Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Gravy


This year, I wanted to have an extra special Christmas morning breakfast, one that would remind us of our first Christmas being "Married and Merry". My top indulgences include fried chicken and waffles, monkey bread, or biscuits and gravy. Since fried chicken is a little fussy to get JUST right, and we've been overwhelmed with sweets over the holidays, we opted for this easy yet delicious spicy sausage gravy. I think every cook has their own version of this recipe, but for the love of biscuits and gravy I'm sharing mine anyways. Sausage, flour, and milk, OH MY!

I'd be lying if I told you I made the biscuits, but I find that frozen Mary B's biscuits are better than the hockey pucks I've made in the past, and it requires zero effort on my part, so I put all my lovin' into stirring the gravy. The photo does not do this dish justice, though I promise it will not disappoint. 
The breakfast crew - I loved making appetizers for later while listening to these boys laugh uncontrollably while watching Christmas Vacation. 

Spicy Sausage Gravy
1 pound hot bulk pork breakfast sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
1/4 cup and 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (more as needed)
1/2 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

With your fingers, tear small pieces of sausage and add them in a single layer to a large heavy skillet. Brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Reduce the heat to medium and sprinkle half of the flour over the sausage, stirring until it dissolves. Add the rest of the flour and stir until all of the flour has dissolved (2-3 minutes).

Slowly pour in the cold milk, stirring constantly as you pour. Cook the gravy, stirring frequently, until it begins to thicken (10-15 minutes). Add more milk to reach desired consistency. Add seasoned salt and pepper. Spoon gravy over warm biscuits and serve immediately. 

Store leftover gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If it is too thick when reheated, add a little milk to thin it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment