Friday, February 28, 2014

Kale, White Beans & Pancetta


This is my happy food. For one, when I pull out my gorgeous Le Creuset dutch oven so that I can saute tons of kale, simply using that pot makes me smile. It was a wedding gift from my co-workers, and of course I chose the same color to match my idol Ina Garten. Truly, if my house caught fire and I could only pick two things to save, it would be that pot and my 50mm 1.4 lens. No brainer. (assuming that my dogs were safe!)
Often the simple recipes, the ones that have under five ingredients and take 30 minutes to prep, are my absolute favorite. I'm not a fancy person, really. I just like good simple real food. An added bonus is this recipe is inexpensive - kale is cheap, and the pancetta is around 4 or 5 dollars. I like to splurge on a good baguette, or make this French baguette recipe at home. 

Kale, White Beans & Pancetta

2 bunches of kale, rinsed and cut into medium pieces (I use kitchen shears)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can white beans, rinsed
1 package pancetta (I buy the one that is already diced from the Fresh Market)
2 shallots, sliced (optional)
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Serve with a warm baguette and olive oil for dipping

Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and pancetta, and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add white beans and cook for 5 minutes, until golden and warm. Add garlic, cook until fragrant. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. 

Heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat, then add 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Add kale, stirring occasionally, and cook until wilted and warm. Season with salt. Serve kale in a large bowl and top with white beans and pancetta, and freshly ground black pepper.

*this recipe tends to cool quickly, but 30-50 seconds in the microwave will warm the kale and beans perfectly - especially if you're going back for seconds like I always do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment