Friday, September 5, 2014

Olive Tapenade Dip


This olive tapenade dip is one of my mom's signature appetizers, and she's been making it for as long as I can remember. There are rarely leftovers, as you'll find yourself cleaning up after a party and eating the rest with a spoon or with torn pieces of baguette. I bet it would be an amazing pasta sauce or spread on a pita and baked. You may see the anchovies and tuna and think what I did - this is going to taste fishy - and I promise that it just gives the dip an amazing salty italian flavor! 
I'm going to turn up the volume on hors d'oeuvres around here, as I know after baby Charlie comes I will not want to host dinner parties like I do now, but will love having my girls over for happy hour with great appetizers. This dip is the perfect addition to a cheese platter or bruschetta, and I think you should make it right now! 

Tapenade Dip
makes 1 1/2 cups
 
1/2 cup imported black olives (Alfonso or Kalamata), pitted
1/4 cup green olives (Sicilian), pitted
4 anchovy filets
1 garlic clove
2 Tbsp capers, thoroughly drained
2 Tbsp oil-packed tuna, drained
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup fresh basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry
1/4 cup best-quality olive oil
1/4 cup mayonnaise

Combine black and green olives, anchovy fillets, garlic, capers, tuna, lemon juice and basil in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until smooth.

With the motor still running, dribble in the oil and make a thick, fluffy sauce. For a lighter sauce, ideal for raw vegetables, blend in the mayonnaise.

Taste, and correct seasoning. Scrape dip into a bowl and cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Tapenade will keep, refrigerated, for 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment