Sunday, November 10, 2013

GaryTalk #7 - The Gary McLean Pep Talk

 
When I was out running this afternoon, the song "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones came on my Pandora station, and I immediately thought about my dad. He loves the Stones. After I heard that kick ass song, I starting thinking about how grateful I am to have such an inspiring and loving father. That is how my mind works when I run, somehow I have these beautiful clear thoughts.  
Growing up, I listened to lots of Rock and Roll. I wasn't that cool, I just didn't have a choice in the matter. I was getting my musical education. That's right, we kids had zero control over the radio station, the TV station, the dinner menu for the evening (except on our birthdays), or the ability to leave the table before finishing a tall glass of milk. House Rules and Dad Rules trumped. 

I realized that while lots of thoughts have been churning in my mind this month, I haven't written a GaryTalk in awhile, so this one, as always, is dedicated to my dad. 

Every now and then, we all need a little pep talk. I imagined on my run today, that if my dad was going to give me (or you) a serious pep talk, it would go something like this:

Live each day with passion and purpose.  Stop your bitching. Never complain or whine. Work hard, harder than everyone else. Don't bother about what others think, and don't try to impress them. Stay active and push yourself. Don't be lazy, physically or mentally. Resist mediocrity. Life is what you make of it. Own your life. Create your destiny. If you don't like something, change it. Rely on yourself, not others. Don't expect handouts. Save more than you spend. Give more than you take. Get busy living, or get busy dying. Live on the edge; great things happen outside your comfort zone. More than anything, be true to yourself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment