Sunday, November 10, 2013

Spicy Sausage Pasta


 If you make one recipe from my blog, make this one. I'm not even kidding, it's simply divine. There is something magical about the combination of Monterey Jack cheese, Rotel tomatoes, and smoked sausage. It puts a bland alfredo sauce to shame, and it's super easy. After I made it for us tonight, I joked with Josh that if I had made this recipe when we met he would have proposed a year earlier. In response, a classic Josh retort, I got "good things come to those who wait". I think somehow we are both right. 

I found this recipe on one of my favorite blogs (Kevin & Amanda), the same blog that introduced me to game changing s'more with Ritz crackers, a Reese's cup, and a marshmallow. Once again, they lead me to the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. 

Spicy Sausage Pasta
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked sausage
1.5 cups diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz penne pasta (I love the Barilla Plus in a yellow box)
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (confession: I used an entire 8oz bag of Pepper 
          Jack, the one with Philadelphia cream cheese, and I would do it again)
1/3 cup scallions, thinly sliced

Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper, and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.

Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment