Friday, November 8, 2013

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili



My slow cooker is seriously rocking the house this fall. I've challenged myself make one new chili in the slow cooker every week, and I'm going to keep at it through the winter. The black bean and sweet potato chili I made last week was so good we fought over the leftovers. Here is another fantastic chili recipe, made with ground turkey. 

If you haven't jumped on the slow cooker wagon, I suggest you go over to Amazon immediately and purchase this slow cooker! I love that I can set it to cook on low for 8 hours, and then it automatically flips into a "keep warm" setting so we can have dinner at any time. 



Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
adapted from Laura's Turkey Chili on all recipes

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 can low sodium tomato soup
1 can chopped tomatoes with chiles (I use rotel)
1 can kidney beans, rinsed 
1 can white beans, rinsed
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can corn, drained of juice
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
1 can water
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 pinch ground allspice
salt/pepper to taste

Garnishes - avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and turkey, cook until turkey evenly brown and drain off liquid.

Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, and mix in the cans of soup, tomatoes, beans, corn, and chiles. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, garlic powder, all spice, salt and pepper. Add the turkey and onion mixture. 

Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment