Saturday, April 5, 2014

Kickin' Grilled Chicken Wings



Our first date night in the new house called for something special and low key.  After three days of hauling stuff, grabbing take out, and dealing with our boxers anxiety with a big move and strange house, I was looking for no fuss. In fact, these pictures are shot under the fluorescent light in my new kitchen, as my photography set up is still at the old house. I promise they are delicious. 

Given our plan to watch a baseball game, I thought grilling out would be perfect and when I mentioned wings I got a YES! text from Josh. If I've learned anything this week - it's the old Gretchen reminder "Don't Let the Perfect be the Enemy of the Good". At Kroger, they did not have Crystal hot sauce, or small drumettes, or wings. They had giant drumettes the size of turkey legs and Louisiana hot sauce. Tempted as I was to go to another grocery store to get the recipe just right, I shrugged my shoulders and let it be.  I'm usually such a perfectionist that learning to accept the good is having a wonderful effect on my peace of mind.
I think we will be doing lots of grilled chicken this summer - we have a great patio and it just feels like warm weather food. This dry rub is delicious on it's own without the sauce, and I think we will keep experimenting to find our signature wing. My very favorite is The Boss at Wild Wing Cafe. Please, share your favorite wing recipes with me!
Ain't No Thing Butta Chicken Wing
from Guy Fieri at the Food Network

Wings:
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 Tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp cumin
4 pounds chicken wings, sectioned into drumettes and wings

Sauce:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 jalapeno, minced
2 Tbsp reserved spice mixture, from above
1 (12 ounce) bottle hot sauce 
4 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp lime juice

In a medium bowl, combine all the spices. Remove and reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Rinse the wings and pat dry. Add the wings to bowl with the spice mixture and stir to coat well. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. 

Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Cook the wings over direct heat until good and crispy, about 15 to 25 minutes. Turn them over and put them on indirect heat, turning frequently, as needed.

While the wings are grilling, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, garlic and jalapeno. Saute for one minute stirring constantly. Add the reserved two tablespoons of the spice mixture and 12 ounces of hot sauce. Bring to a simmer, add the butter, vinegar, and lime juice. Hold warm until ready to serve.

When ready to serve, add the wings to a large serving bowl, pour in the sauce and toss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment