Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Greek Spaghetti Squash Boats


Spaghetti squash boats are so easy! I buy my spaghetti squash at Walmart, but am set on growing them in my garden this spring. They are so versatile, and in the past I have stuffed them with a traditional bolognese sauce or Cincinnati chili. One of my favorite easy sides is spaghetti squash with a little olive oil, salt, and parmesan cheese. 

This week, I wanted to mix it up and found this recipe with my favorite Greek toppings - artichoke hearts, feta, pine nuts, spinach, and kalamata olives.  We absolutely loved this recipe, as the flavor is so bright and fresh. 
In my favorite parenting book, Bringing Up Bebe, there are chapters devoted to introducing children to the joy of food. There is no culture that takes cuisine as seriously as they do in France. It's normal to step into the neighborhood creche (French daycare) and find 3 year olds eating manchego with slices of ripe pears. They assume children are young adults with the ability to appreciate amazing food. Parents strive to make their children's plates colorful and flavorful. It is my goal to bring Charlie up as a baby foodie, and one day I hope he will love my colorful spaghetti squash boats! 

Greek Spaghetti Squash Boats
serves 2

Spaghetti squash
2 chicken breasts, grilled and diced (I seasoned with Cavender's greek seasoning) 
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup kalamata olives
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups spinach
3 Tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup artichoke heart, roughly chopped
10 cherry tomatoes, diced

Roast spaghetti squash (cut in half, scoop out seeds, roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, then scrape out inside). Save shells for serving. 

In a dutch oven or skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add garlic and onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Then add spinach and cook until wilted. Add artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and kalamata olives. Add spaghetti squash and chicken, and stir well. 

Scoop spaghetti squash mixture back into shells, and top with pine nuts and feta cheese. Serve while hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment