Wednesday, January 14, 2015

GaryTalk #9: No Excuses

If you're new to the blog, or haven't been introduced to my "Gary Talks", each talk focuses on a principle that was drilled into my head during the eighteen years that I lived under my parents roof. Mind you, not a year more, as it was also drilled into my head that when I graduated high school I was getting the boot. I was allowed back over summers, with the expectation that I worked and saved money. No free lunch, maybe in the White House but not in my parents house.  

     GaryTalk #1: Work Hard Play Hard

     GaryTalk #2: Be Self-Sufficient

     GaryTalk #3: Live a Simple and Frugal Life

     GaryTalk #4: Be Your Own Person

     GaryTalk #5: Less Talking, More Doing

     GaryTalk #6: Embrace Change

     GaryTalk #7: The Gary McLean Pep Talk

     GaryTalk #8: Choose Your Crowd


I was thinking about my mom and dad on the treadmill this morning, I think because I am missing them and they are traveling. Well that got to to thinking about about a new Gary Talk. 

I went back to work a few weeks ago, and what I quickly realized after spending months at home with Charlie that #1 I was thrilled to be around adult conversation again, #2 I love my job and work with awesome people, and #3 that most folks make a lot of excuses. One particular patient gave me at least 5 reasons on why they had stopped taking their blood pressure medication - too expensive, plain forgetful, feel great without it, on and on. One by one, I could have broken down every excuse. Did you call your doctor and let them know you could not afford a name brand medication? Do you use a pill organizer? Do you understand why hypertension is called the "silent killer"?

Instead, I just laughed inside my own head. Was it funny? Not particularly. But, I realized in that moment, that each and every one of us is guilty of doing the same thing. Often, we blame work for keeping us too busy, too tired, or too stressed. We blame our circumstances, the lack of money or time. Sorry, just had "too much going on" and "feeling under the weather" are ones that I hear often, sometimes out of my own mouth. But if something is really important, we make time for it and do it instead of making up an excuse. 

When I was little, we got called on it. Why didn't you take out the trash? Why did you get a B on that test? Why did you miss your curfew? As adults, we have to call ourselves on it. No one wants to hear your excuse. Be honest.  If you make a mistake, didn't reach a goal, said you were going to do something and then didn't, just look in the mirror, own it, and do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment