Monday, February 18, 2013

Hungarian Mushroom Soup




I worked night shift on Valentine's day and our monthly anniversary (the 13th, we're that silly) and so I wanted to make a REALLY special recipe this weekend to celebrate.  I had about 100 recipes on my radar and had to narrow it down to just one! It's so hard NOT to make our favorite seared cast iron medium-rare filet on celebration nights, but I was determined. 

My mom came to town raving about this rich, velvety, soul-warming mushroom soup that one of her close German friends made for her on a rainy day. She emailed me the recipe, and I was totally expecting to spend 3-4 hours in the kitchen with a spatula in hand fussing over a fancy soup. SURPRISE! This soup is SO EASY to prepare. Josh helped me slice the mushrooms and the soup was ready in about an hour. I highly recommend a good crunchy loaf of bread on the side for dipping.  

Hungarian Mushroom Soup
from allrecipes.com

4T unsalted butter
2 cups finely chopped onions
1 lb fresh mushrooms (I used a variety), sliced
2 tsp dried dill
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk (or fat free half and half)
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp lemon juice (I cut this back to 1 tsp after reading other reviews)
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup sour cream



  1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
  2. In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately. May add dollop sour cream to top of each bowl. 
Bon Appetite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment