Friday, February 1, 2013

Kale Saute







I stumbled upon my fridge earlier tonight, hungry, and without any idea of what I'd fix myself for dinner. On the nights I'm cooking for one, I  normally heat up a can of Amy's soup or microwave a veggie burger, but tonight I was craving real food. 

Here, my friends, something magical happened. I grabbed a bag lucinato kale, baby spinach, and chicken sausage. The spinach was an afterthought, as I didn't have as much kale as I needed, though looking back I will combine the two more often. I quickly sauteed the kale and spinach and fried the sausage in a little olive oil. The final meal was extraordinary, garlicky, and so very easy. Next time, I may toss in half a can of white beans with the greens. 

KALE SAUTE

- 1/3 bag lucinato kale
- 1/3 bag baby spinach
- 1 link apple chicken sausage (mine was from Trader's)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (of course I opted for 3), minced
- good olive oil
- pinch of salt/pepper

Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet, add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add kale and spinach, stirring frequently. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cut chicken sausage into 4 long pieces, and saute in another pan in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cut into smaller pieces.

Scoop kale into a nice bowl, top with chicken sausage, pour a glass of red wine, put on a good jazz station, and enjoy every single delicious bite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment