Thursday, August 1, 2013

Healthy Fettucine Chicken Alfredo



Friends, it's time for a heart to heart confession. I trust that you will not judge. My restaurant career began as a server...at Applebee's...and I loved their chicken broccoli pasta alfredo. This is around the time I was a freshman in college and thought a pack of Oriental flavor ramen was a perfectly acceptable breakfast, lunch or dinner. I also ate a chick-fil-a biscuit for breakfast almost every day. Those were great times. 

A few months later, I faced a rude awakening when I learned that my favorite pasta dish from Crapplebees (as I fondly called my place of employment) packed 1200 calories, and I black listed all things alfredo.  That was the end of a sad/happy story, until a few weeks ago, when I dubiously pinned a recipe for a Creamy Cauliflower Sauce that claims to "taste just like alfredo" according to Pinch of Yum blogger Lindsay. With an suprising sense of blind faith, I took her word and headed out to Kroger with my shopping list. 

The pasta and the sauce was doggone good, as we like to say in the South. Did it taste JUST like alfredo? No, there is no substitute for heavy cream and butter. Was it doggone good? Yes. Did Josh finish his bowl? Why yes, as a matter of fact he did. 



Creamy Califlower Sauce
from Pinch of Yum

8 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp butter
6 cups cauliflower florets
6 cups chicken broth or water (she uses vegetable broth)
1 tsp salt (more to taste) - I needed more and added my favorite seasoning (knorr aromat) at the dinner table
1/2 tsp pepper 
1/2 cup milk 
  1. Melt butter over medium heat in nonstick skillet. Saute garlic for 2 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Remove from heat.
  2. Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower and cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender. Do not drain.
  3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cauliflower pieces to the blender. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth, then add garlic/butter mixture, salt, pepper, and milk. Serve the sauce while hot. If sauce starts to look dry, add a few drops of water, milk, or olive oil.
Healthy Fettucine Chicken Alfredo
serves six (or four hungry) friends

1 package fettucine (I used whole wheat)
1 batch of Creamy Cauliflower Sauce
4 cups broccoli florets, roasted (drizzle with olive oil, roast at 375 for 25 minutes)
4 chicken breasts, grilled or sauteed (diced into pieces)
Seasoning for chicken (I used Tony Chachere's)
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, diced in half
Freshly grated parmesan cheese for topping

  1. Season and grill chicken breasts, and be sure to cover in foil and rest for 10 minutes prior to dicing into pieces. 
  2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Reserve a cup of pasta liquid and drain in collander. Return pasta to pot, and add creamy cauliflower sauce, then stir well. 
  3. Add tomatoes and stir. Divide pasta into 2 bowls (you will have leftovers), and then top with roasted broccoli, diced chicken, and parmesan cheese.




This is what happens when you drink one of those delicious watermelon mojitos before cooking dinner! 
the deal in our house - the cook never does the dishes. Sorry, Josh! 





2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, I am making this tonight!
    Cheers,
    Hanneke

    p.s. There is one L too many at the end of your PIN IT button url (htmll). Everyone that follows the link from Pinterest to your blog arrives at a page that doesn't exist. You may want to fix that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy your meal tonight!

      I fixed the pinterest link, THANK YOU so much for letting me know!

      Delete