I turned to the trusted Joy of Cooking for this simple and scrumptious treat. My friends, this is a definite keeper. Just ask the Salmon men, you would have thought their spoons were shovels!
Peach and Blueberry Crisp
4 cups fruit (can mix - blueberries/peaches/blackberries)
1 stick cold butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup quick (not old fashioned) oats
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375
- Rinse the berries in a colander and set aside to drain. Remove paper wrapper from butter and set wrapper aside. Cut the butter into teaspoon size pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is chunky, with pieces resembling small peas.
- Use the wrapper from the butter to lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Shake any remaining water from the berries and pour them into the baking pan. Sprinkle the vanilla extract over the berries and stir to blend.
- Sprinkle the flour-sugar mixture over the berries.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serves six. Perfect with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top!