Happy 4th of July, friends! If you are wondering why I haven't posted many recipes lately, it is entirely my husband's fault! He has been grilling like a mad man, and has spoiled me with chicken thighs, pork tenderloin, ribeyes, corn on the cob, and foil packets. We have really enjoyed dining "al fresco" and the back deck is set up with tiki torches and a wireless speaker for good music.
This week, I made these jalapeno cornbread muffins to compliment his barbecue chicken thighs, and they were perfect for summer time and easy to freeze. I'm going to give you a little tip on how to make these extra delicious - cut up a cube of cheddar and drop it into the middle of each muffin before baking. I made a few that way by accident with the larger chunks of cheese that didn't grate well, and those muffins were the best of the batch.
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
from Damn Delicious
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon honey
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, sugar, eggs
- Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist. Add jalapenos
and cheese, and gently toss to combine.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Place into oven and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until
a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.