Until now, I could not claim to possess "peace of mind" or knowledge of how to achieve it. I like to stay busy, be creative, and work hard, but I've never been able to sit still for very long. On a recent attempt to meditate 15 minutes every morning I literally could not do it.
I loved so many individual experiences from our honeymoon to Saint Lucia, but the best thing that Josh and I did was shut off ALL the devices (no iPad, iPhone, kindle, or TV) and enjoy some real face time together. I read two amazing novels, lounged on a float in the ocean, and found that I could sit still for long periods of time without feeling antsy or uncomfortable. I truly found my zen. I felt calm, happy, and loved, and came home feeling refreshed, recharged, and excited for October fun...pumpkin carving, great beer, bonfires with s'mores, and long rides on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I told my mom I gained a few pounds of weight (the food was phenomenal) and a hundred pounds of perspective.
We vowed on the way home to do a relaxing vacation at least once a year, even if on a smaller scale and just on a local beach closer to home. There is magic in escaping your daily life for a week, shutting off the devices, and living with no plans. Just doing what feels good and right.
FAVORITES FROM SAINT LUCIA
- The BBC (Bailey's Banana Colada) - will post recipe shortly
- Traditional Creole Chicken
- Ocean doughnuts - literally these ocean floats you crawl into with netting underneath so you can just nap with your bum and arms in the water and look out at the sea
- Pat Conroy, his novel The Water is Wide rocked my world
- Bacon and eggs for breakfast...every day.
- Meeting newlyweds and couples who have been married for 50 years
- Watching a crazy fun group of Canadian guys who have been friends since high school celebrate their combined 50th birthday party
- Gifting Josh's giant sombrero to Tyler the bartender - and watch every bartender and beach server wear the hat over the next three days
- Adventurous eating - we tried escargot, frog legs, and duck at the fancy French restuarant La Toc and loved it all
- Sitting with Josh at night in the gazebo and talking about our dreams