Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Ella's Guacamole


On our recent family vacation, I was finally able to meet my cousin's amazing girlfriend Ella. She is from Mexico and loves to cook, travel, read books, and has two adorable maltese dogs. I'd been waiting to meet her for the past few years, and before we left the vacation she was generous enough to share her personal guacamole recipe with me so that we could all benefit!
Growing up in Mexico, her mom cooked up authentic meals daily. Ella was in charge of making the guacamole and salsa, and she has been making this recipe for years. I could not resist making my first batch with one of my giant heirloom garden tomatoes that was one day from being too ripe, and next time I will strictly follow her recipe for a more creamy texture from the avocados. Ella did say, make this your own! 

Ella's Guacamole
3 ripe Hass avocados, halved and pitted
2 to 4 fresh serrano peppers, coarsely chopped including seeds
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
2 medium roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 limes (bright green color)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (add more to taste)

For heat - add a dash of Ella's favorite hot sauce Valentina (or other favorites Cholula or Tapatio)

In a blender: add the peppers, half of the cilantro, 3/4 of the onion, tomatoes, juice of 1 lime, and salt. Blend until smooth. 

Scoop the avocado flesh with a spoon into the blender jar and blend until creamy. Scoop in a bowl, then add 1/4 onion and remaining cilantro as garnish and cover with juice of 1 lime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment