Friday, August 8, 2014

Homemade Peach Ice Cream (& lessons from the kitchen)


The kitchen is a magical place for learning life's lessons. Let me share with you a recent example, along with one of my favorite Henry Ford quotes. 
This week, I was served a big lesson on reading instructions carefully before you begin. I made homemade ice cream for the first time in this Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment. I did freeze the ice cream bowl for 15 hours, however I did NOT chill the batter. I followed the recipe below and poured the cool (not cold) batter right into my ice cream bowl. What resulted was a delicious tasting batch of softer than soft serve cream. Woops. 
                       
I brought my failed effort over to my father-in-law's house for his birthday present and we had a nice little laugh. 
The next batch I made was perfect, and I think it's important that when we face failure, rather than throwing our hands in the air we decide to try again and do better. 
I plan on making lots more homemade ice cream so please share your favorite recipes with me! 
Homemade Peach Ice Cream
from Glorious Treats

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup honey, warmed slightly
6 Tablespoons (1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp) sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large (or 3 medium) peaches


1. Prepare peaches by peeling, and removing the pit. Puree ONE of the peaches (in a blender or food processor) until smooth. Dice the other peach into small pieces (about the size of a pea). Set peaches aside.

2. In a large bowl add the cream, milk, honey, and sugar. Whisk a minute or so, until the sugar has dissolved.


3. Add vanilla.


4. Add peach puree and diced peaches and whisk or stir until well combined.


5. Taste for sweetness and if desired, add additional sugar (1-2 tablespoons), then whisk until dissolved.


6. Pour ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the freezing directions.


No comments:

Post a Comment